Thursday, March 15, 2012

Ephesians 5:8-14 (The Message)

"You groped your way through that murk once, but no longer. You're out in the open now. The bright light of Christ makes your way plain. So no more stumbling around. Get on with it! The good, the right, the true--these are the actions appropriate for daylight hours. Figure out what will please Christ, and then do it. Don't waste your time on useless work, mere busywork, the barren pursuits of darkness. Expose these things for the sham they are. It's a scandal when people waste their lives on things they must do in the darkness where no one will see. Rip the cover off those frauds and see how attractive they look in the light of Christ.  Wake up from your sleep, climb out of your coffins; Christ will show you the light!"

I like the wording in some of this...it does feel like we grope our way through when we are not letting Christ lead! But then, once we see the light and move toward it, it is easy to get caught up in busywork!  How simple it seems to say figure out what Christ wants and then do it! Yet how childlike we are! I know my kids KNOW how to do their chores and they KNOW they like the feeling they get when they actually manage to do them with a minimum of fussing and time, yet that rarely happens! They still choose to make them so much worse than they need to be. How often do we do that with Christ. We KNOW what He wants of us and we know we will love the results, yet we still stumble around and take forever to get where He wants us to be.

I know I am guilty of this and then I try to make excuses but the reality is there are no excuses. God clearly shows us His will. If we follow His path, we will know what He wants for us. For me this means I need to spend time in His Word and in prayer. Not just yakking but also listening! I have always struggled with prayer. It was not something I was taught well as a child and I find myself easily distracted. I start with good intentions and then my mind wanders...and wanders...and wanders! So I am working on this part of my letting Christ lead! I am going to focus on prayer and really truly allowing Christ to help keep me on track! For me, today at least, that is going to be MANY short conversations. I try to do that anyway, but I am going to make it a true priority today!

Dad, here we go. Finally moving today. Slow start and I felt guilty, until I looked back at my schedule the last three days and realized I had been so "busy" that I hadn't focused on You. Oops! Guess my slow start was a blessing that helped me spend some time focused on You! Thank you for that! I missed You!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment