Thursday, March 1, 2012

Ephesians 4: 11-13


"It was he who gave some to be apostles, come to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ."
 WOW! There is a LOT in here! For starters...the he...we have just been talking about God so it is pretty obvious that is who is meant, but I wanted to make sure that I point it out. We need to get in the habit of looking at the context and making sure we are on the same page as God! Notice that God didn't make little cookie cutter carbon copies. Everytime I see a housing addition where all the houses look the same I think...wow, I am glad God didn't design us that way! Each of us has a purpose in God's eyes and that purpose is NOT to be selfish! That purpose is to build the body of Christ. This doesn't mean just to build up your family or yourself. It means stretching beyond your comfort zone to reach the people God puts in your life.  And notice that the way we build the body is works of service. If we aren't serving God, we are not serving our purpose. This is where I want to back up and remind you that not everyone is the same! This means that everyone has a different way to serve! Your service will not look like mine, or your neighbors', etc. This means that you need to serve. How many people look down on others because they perceive them as not serving. You never know what they are doing. Think about your church...think about the little details and see if you know who does them. Does your church have pencils in the pew or chairs? Who makes sure those are there and sharp? Same with offering envelopes or cards. How about the computer....who puts the words for the songs into the computer so you know what to sing? If you don't use a computer, often there is a little place where they list the numbers of the hymns…who puts that up every week. Many churches have a board out front that often has a catchy saying or tells the sermon topic for that week. Who comes up with that and physically goes out and changes it (especially in the cold of winter! Brave souls!)

 Application today is just to think on how I am not the same! I am different for a reason! God has a plan and I have to express my faith through service! How am I serving God AND am I serving Him in the way HE wants me to, or selfishly in the way I want to!

Father, today help me focus on Your will in my life! You are amazing and I want to spend my energy honoring that!

 Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment