Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Ephesians 4:25-27

"Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body. "In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold."

Oooo boy! So many times we speak "falsehood" out of a misguided attempt not to hurt someone. That usually backfires! We need to be honest at all times. Doing otherwise will give the devil a foothold. Also, the anger thing. Some days I really struggle with this! I get frustrated with my children, then I get mad because they keep frustrating me and I see no improvement. I think the key here is that you do not sin in anger. For me that meant that even though the agreed upon punishment for my 11 year old NOT getting up and around and gett...
ing to school with morning chore done is that if she misses the bus I will not take her to school, she will just stay home with Mommy and do chores all day...and will do her sister's chores for her! (ouch!), today I really pushed her to get out that door because I KNEW I would not handle her home without anger and probably sinning today! I am kinda blurring my observations and application here! I think KNOWING what your anger triggers are (and we all have them!) is a key to not sinning in anger. Now, she has punishment, and she will be doing everyones chores tonight. This isn't easy for me and I know I will still get angry with her, but a successful morning is SO important for the rest of your life! She needs to learn to get up and actually get out of the house ON TIME with clothes on and hair brushed, etc. or she will never be able to hold a job. I am trying to focus on teaching out of love instead of reacting out of anger, some days that is easier, others not! Here is the rest of the scripture for me...I can't hold that grudge against her all day. I can carry out punishment, but without anger. I can't go to bed thinking that she is just going to do the same things tomorrow. I need to let it go. That is the biggest challenge for me!
Father, YOU know I struggle with my child. You know I go from frustrated to anger so much quicker than I used to! You also know the reasons for her struggles. You created her perfectly. You have a plan for her. My living in anger or frustration can get in the way of my enjoyment of your working in both my life and her life! Help me not be blinded by my anger. Help me extend to others the grace you have consistently shown me! Thanks! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment