Monday, March 19, 2012

Ephesians 5:21-24 (The Message)

"Out of respect for Christ, be courteously reverent to one another. Wives, understand and support your husbands in ways that show your support for Christ. The husband provides leadership to his wife the way Christ does to his church, not by domineering but by cherishing. So just as the church submits to Christ as he exercises such leadership, wives should likewise submit to their husbands."

So many people struggle with that word submit. They automatically think doormat. My sister stayed in a bad relationship because their church taught that the man was not to be questioned! I believe if you read this right, you WILL question! Just like we are able to question God in order to better understand His will in our lives. This verse shows that the husband is a godly man. When your husband is following Christ's will in his life then it isn't hard for you to submit to him because you are also following Christ's will. When a man uses domineering techniques like abuse, that isn't godly. He is to cherish the wife the way Christ cherishes his people. He cherished me enough to DIE for me on a cross! WOW! That is pretty cherished!

I have a strong personality and I often take charge. Sometimes the whole submission thing isn't a challenge because I don't trust my husband, but because I am not patient! I don't give him a chance to step up and lead our family. I just jump in and take over! I think this prevents him from doing so! I need to work on that!

God, today I need help remembering that You have a plan, not just in MY life, but in the life of my husband. If I am always jumping in and taking over, then I am keeping that plan from taking place. Ouch! That is a tough one! Give me the strength to know when to back off and stop taking over! You know that won't be easy for me!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment