Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ephesians 5:25-27 (The Message)

"Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church-- a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ's love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness."

I really liked the version I used here, but not only as for the husbands to the wives...but really as a wife! Do I go all out in love for my husband? WOW! If we both went all out for each other! I admit, I have a great marriage, but it isn't perfect! We are both flawed humans! But it is so sad when we see people living in selfish marriages. They want what THEY can get out of it, instead of what they can do in their marriage to lift each other! I think this is a good reminder for us all to put our spouses first. And I don't mean just their WANTS...because what I want isn't always what is best for my family! I mean, put them as a person first!

I WANT a Kindle Fire...but we can't afford it, it isn't in the budget and it wouldn't be wise right now. I can choose to whine about it. I can choose to make a big issue of it and make Cory feel guilty because I don't have one. I can choose to spend the money on one and satisfy my own selfish whim over paying for food for the family. I am choosing to put my husband first. I am instead spending that money on food and truck parts that are needed and shoes, instead of spending it on myself! This doesn't mean I don't want it, it just means that I have stopped and made a choice. Okay, that is one example from my life but how many other examples do I have? Uh, Oh! Wow! Do I really make a concentrated effort to put my hubby first? I would have to say no. I actually tend to put the kids first. And I encourage Cory to do that also. When Cory does take the time to compliment or praise me (like this verse says) I REGULARLY blow him off! I don't want to hear it, I doubt him or I don't accept it graciously! OUCH! Looking at it from HIS perspective I probably hurt his feelings when I do that! Like I am saying I love you, but I don't trust what you are saying! Again, not healthy!

Wow God, you bring so many little things to my attention and I wonder how I can ever fix myself or change or whatever. Then I realize....I can't! YOU can! Duh! How many times do you have to remind me to get myself out of the way and let you move in my life before I get it! Help me get it today!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment