Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Ephesians 5:28-30 (The Message)

"And this is how husbands ought to love their wives. They're really doing themselves a favor--since they're already 'one' in marriage. No one abuses his own body, does he? No, he feeds and pampers it. That's how Christ treats us, the church, since we are part of his body."

I loved the way this was put...especially in this day and age we do feed and pamper our own bodies! Yes, there are people who abuse themselves, but I think the main point here is that we are selfish! We are focused on taking care of ME first! But this scripture is point out that ME is actually US because we are united! Not only are we united in our marriages, but as a body of Christ we are to be united also!

I think I do a fairly good job of putting my husband and family first (probably sometimes too much as I tend to take care of them before I take care of me). My biggest problem is the church. I find I am often judgemental and unsupportive of people who are not "helping" themselves. If I see people are putting forth effort, I can support them, but if it appears they are just sitting back and waiting on someone else to lift them out of a hole they dug, then I am not very willing to be the one to help lift them! But if I look at it as a part of my own body...the body of Christ....then I am really hurting myself by being judgemental. Ouch! Guess I need to reflect on that a bit more!

Wow Dad, talk about hitting hard! I get tired and exasperated and don't want to hear it....um, yeah, bet you know about that! You hear so much more than I do! I guess I need to work hard to stop judging and just focus on what You have asked me to do!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment