Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ephesians 5:31-32

"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church."

For me what stands out is the whole leaving father and mother part. I love my mother-in-law dearly but she lost her husband when my husband was just 2. He lived at home for 29 years. It is REALLY hard for her to let go and let our family be his priority. She doesn't MEAN to but she often makes him feel guilty for not jumping to do her stuff right when she mentions it. I am sure that we do the exact same thing with the church! We expect God to jump to whatever our stuff is, whenever we demand it. Christ expects us to put the church first. So many people try to put their spouse before God and that just makes a mess of things!

Today I will try to be more focused on the church. I see that while I am wholehearted and willing to give to my family, I tend to hold back from giving to the church! Such a tough balance! We seek after and crave intimacy with our spouse and we are taught here to seek after and crave intimacy with the church. Now I am not saying to go have sex with all the church like they are my husband! More that it is an attitude change and me not holding back when Christ leads me somewhere!

God, I must admit, it isn't easy. I selfishly want my family to come first and they are GREAT at making me feel guilty when I don't put them first! I crave discernment for what you want from me. You know there should be a balance and you can show that balance to me!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment